Rechercher dans ce blog

Saturday, April 10, 2021

Car Doctor: Is there any way to fix 'jolting' in Honda Pilot? - The Providence Journal

pret.indah.link

Q: I recently purchased a nearly brand new looking 2016 Honda Pilot and didn't notice a jolting jerkiness when I was test-driving it (my own stupidity, excitement of new vehicle, other factors).

Now that I own it and I am driving it every day, I've come to discover a distinct "jolting/jerkiness" feeling. This mostly occurs as I take my foot off the brake. My car won't just coast nice and smoothly. It's as if as it is downshifting on its own.

I thought something was majorly wrong with this car and I took it in and had them check it out. Is this really a common and acceptable characteristic of the Honda Pilot? Is it all Honda Pilots or did I just have the dumb luck of getting the particular year? I know it is a 5-year old vehicle, but it is the most expensive vehicle I have owned. Is there any way to fix this? 

A: At one point, Honda may have performed an update to the transmission to remedy an existing shudder issue. If that was the case, then the transmission fluid needs to be changed following a very specific procedure outlined in a technical service bulletin 17-015.

In addition, the engine in this vehicle shuts cylinders down to save fuel. This can lead to an annoying (to some drivers) and undesirable characteristic.

If this were my vehicle, I would continue to work with Honda — or the dealer you purchased it from — to make sure all technical bulletins that apply are fully up to date. 

Q: I am thinking about purchasing a new pick-up truck. I looked at the Jeep and it was interesting but just not for me. I think I have narrowed my search to the Ford Ranger and Chevrolet Colorado. Any thoughts on these two vehicles? 

Q: They are both solid choices. I once said the Ranger was 80% of a Ford F-150. In hindsight, that may have been a bit of an overstatement. The Ranger is powered by one engine — a powerful 4-cylinder that makes 270 horsepower.

I have not driven the Chevy, but I did evaluate its stablemate the GMC Canyon. I felt more comfortable in the cabin of the Canyon and the controls seemed more intuitive. The GMC, like the Chevy, has more engine choices: a 4-cylinder, V-6 and a diesel.

If towing capacity and interior room are priorities the Chevy/GMC is a winner. If fuel economy, as well as the ability to tow or carry a heavy load, the Ranger wins out. The Chevy can tow more, but at the expense of fuel economy.

In the end, it is a personal choice. For me, all things considered, I would choose the Chevrolet Colorado or GMC Canyon. 

Q: We have a 2013 VW Jetta. For the past 8 months the check engine light has been on.  Two mechanics looked at it and told us the engine is okay. They said the light is on because —  well, they don't know. One says something to do with the gas tank and the other something to do with the catalytic convertor. Both mechanics turned the light off, but it came on again after a few hours.

We live in the city and up until COVID, most of the time we use the bus to get around. We have been driving the car with no problem since the pandemic. However, we want to get bottom of this problem.

A: Based on those who this Volkswagen Jetta and write to me, the check engine light is on at some point. The check engine light comes on when the car's computer system is reading outside of a normal range and generates a fault code.

Since the car runs well, my suspicion is the problem is related to the evaporative emissions system. This could be a leaking hose, faulty gas cap or a pump, or solenoid.

At this point, a technician needs to read the engine fault code. The fault code isn't the answer to the problem but does help the technician find the source of the problem. Just clearing the check engine light without performing a repair is guaranteed to have the light come back on. 

Q: It has been so dry lately. Is there anything I can do to not get a static electric shock getting in and out of my car? 

A: You could try spraying the seats with a static spray for clothes. In my own car, I also hold my keys tight in my hand and use the key to touch anything metal. When you do this, you will see and maybe even hear the spark, but not feel it.

John Paul is the AAA Northeast Car Doctor. He has more than 40 years of experience in the automobile industry and is an ASE-Certified Master Technician. Write to John Paul, The Car Doctor, at 110 Royal Little Drive, Providence, RI 02904. Or email jpaul@aaanortheast.com and put “Car Doctor” in the subject field. Follow him on Twitter @johnfpaul or on Facebook.

The Link Lonk


April 10, 2021 at 04:14PM
https://ift.tt/3wMIhAA

Car Doctor: Is there any way to fix 'jolting' in Honda Pilot? - The Providence Journal

https://ift.tt/38hkzRl
Honda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Honda: Marquez’s FP2 crash cost him Assen MotoGP podium shot - Motorsport.com, Edition: Global

pret.indah.link Marquez had a huge high-side during second practice at Assen last Friday and hurt his right ankle after a heavy impact wit...

Popular Posts